Saturday, January 29, 2011

Why I Got a GF1

Picked up a Panasonic GF1 earlier this week. Theres almost no need for me to write a review about it since the internet is flooded with them. This will also be a short post.

For those that don't know, there is a new model named the GF2 (a successor to the GF1) just waiting to hit the market any day now, but I decided to grab what is (or soon to be) a discontinued model. While the newer model is said to be lighter and smaller, the lens it is coupled with is slower. It is a wider lens, yes, but it's something I won't be needing. The GF2 will also have better video quality. But again, something I won't be needing. If I could use something to shoot 1080 instead of 720 with, I would hardly use a casual style camera for the job. You can read about their specs and differences, on this page.

One last reason why I got the GF1 instead of waiting for the GF2 (and most likely end up paying more money for it): GF2 has a bloody touch screen. That one gets a "Don't pass GO, don't collect $200" treatment from me.

Sometimes, the newer models aren't necessarily better than the old ones and there have been plenty of examples of that in the past. Instead of mindlessly going with the flow of the social-consumer rule of "New = Better", I decided to get a camera with features that I like and will be using. It only seems like a logical choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As long as it isn't spam, sure, go ahead and leave a comment.
=]