Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Trip: Montreal

Occasionally, I will feel the urge to get out of this city. Despite living here more than half of my life, I can't say I like the infamous Toronto very much. Traveling to somewhere has pretty much one main goal: take photos. The surge of having new subjects and scenery is always a good feeling. I go on these Photography Journeys or Photo-Journeys and I haven't gone on one since a few years back. I'd say it was long over due. Anyway, this is the first time I went on my Photo Journey since I started this blog. And since this trip wasn't exactly the shortest trip, I will divide the report into many different posts.

Destination: Montreal.

Where should I start? It's a great place! Food is great, and while it is generally colder than Toronto, the warmth from the aura from the city, by the people, makes up for it. Needless to say, people are great as well. I was shocked every time a stranger stopped by me and asked me where I need to go. I had no map out, and was just wondering which way to head on which street. I suppose I did give out some of that "tourist" aura. But that kind of courtesy, I would not find in Toronto. People here are lost enough as it is, and God help them if some of them were to give out directions here. People also smile more at Montreal. They really know how to enjoy life. Or at least enjoy it better than us Torontonians. People of Montreal aren't so tied down with the static way of life. It feels dynamic, but it doesn't feel like a rush. Instead, it feels relaxing. Weird, but I can't seem to put it into words quite right. Montreal also has some great stuff besides people. A photo of an example follows...

The machine was out of service, so I didn't get to try it out. But take a look at it! It's a vending machine selling french fries! Of course, I would like to talk about food on another post, possibly next week, as I do have other things to talk about on this post. However, that french fries machine still amuses me. Who knew? Of all things, I would be so amused by a vending machine that spews out french fries as little as in 2 minutes-which can't even do that right, due to the fact that it's broken. Still, the amusement remains.

People in Montreal seems to be just a little bit faster on foot compared to Torontonians. They also seem to have higher level of awareness, hence the jay-walking is pretty common-too common. That is one thing I could get used to without a doubt. Walking fast, know who and what's around you, while you enjoy the walk. The bike lanes are safer as they're separated from the road and the sidewalk. Although, not every road has the bike lanes, it is still an admirable idea that's missing here in Toronto.

The night life is also worth mentioning. Especially while I was there since Nuit Blanche was taking place in Montreal. I didn't get around to everywhere, but I saw a fair share of it and had a good time over all. Saw less drunks on the streets compared to the Nuit Blanche of Toronto surprisingly. But I guess they can appreciate art without being smashed. That takes skills. Some streets were just packed, however, and like all Nuit Blanche, the "best" activities had a line up and half. I tried to avoid those areas this time around and turned out to be my most relaxing Nuit Blanche experience yet. Not a bad experience.

I would like to go back to Montreal anytime I can. I'm hoping to have enough time to go back for a bit in the summer time later this year. If I recall correctly, the Jazz Fests should be taking place then.

And like most of my trips, the only regrettable part about the trip is actually coming back. Anyway, on the next post, I will be comparing the differences in the transit systems in both Montreal and Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As long as it isn't spam, sure, go ahead and leave a comment.
=]