Thursday, April 7, 2011

One More Camera: Minolta XG-M

I remember getting my Minolta XG-A. I still like it, but it does give me some light leak every now and then and the worst part is, it's caused by the shutter and not the light seals. It showed up here and there just randomly. Some rolls had more light leaks than others, while a few had none. I wasn't aware my XG-A came with a "mood swing" feature. Unable to adapt to liking the light leaks like some Holga users, I decided to get a replacement camera.

This time I grabbed myself a Minolta XG-M, which was launched the same year as the XG-A. Looks similar but with few major differences. The major difference is that XG-M gives me the control of the shutter speed as opposed to XG-A that is always in Av mode. A huge lift in terms of limitations I was facing with the XG-A. Though, I feel as I wont be setting my shutter speed on my own all the time, it's a nice feeling to know that I can.

Another difference worthy of noting is the viewfinder. The viewfinder size is the same but on the XG-M, it also tells you the value of the apature through a little mirror at the bottom of the viewfinder. Ah, the technology.

I've only had the XG-M for a few days. Ran a test roll through and it doesn't look like there are any issues with this one. If you'd like to know more about pretty much anything related to Minolta, The Rokkor Files is an excellent site to visit. Very informative as it helped me decide which camera would be a good replacement for the XG-A.

1 comment:

  1. My Dad is giving me his XG-A. Should get it in a few days. Can't wait to use it!

    ReplyDelete

As long as it isn't spam, sure, go ahead and leave a comment.
=]