Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Canon EOS-3 (Not Really a Review)

This is Canon 5D of the film-era. It's also a good way to piss away film.

I had a silly thought in the Summer of this year: "Hey, what if I get an AUTO-FOCUS FILM CAMERA?"

Okay, maybe this is a bad way to start this post. EOS-3 is an amazing camera. It has 45 AF points, and even seem to focus as fast as a 5D MK.II- if not, faster. It has a good enough build quality. Not quite like the Canon 1V or the Nikon F5, but it's not made out of paper, either. And most of all, I enjoyed shooting with it through out this Summer. Well, until I got my negatives back from the photo lab.

Having the auto-focus system that spoils its user, every time I used the EOS-3, I shot like I shoot with a digital camera. Shooting things several times just in case and because I think I got the room in my memory card. The only difference here is my memory cards for the EOS-3 came in either 24 or 36 shots and were meant for single use. It's not a pleasant thing to see a roll of negatives where most of the shots are the same. And to add insult to my own injuries, they were not even moving subjects.

Owning the EOS-3 more or less felt like having a very, very enthusiastic girlfriend: You keep having to use condomsfilm. And you really shouldn't use the same one over and over.*

There are things that I am still excited about the EOS-3, though, like the Eye Control Focus (ECF) system. Upon calibration, the user simply looks at the part of the viewfinder, and the camera will focus in that area. Considering this camera came out back in 1999, that is a very impressive feature. It doesn't really work with people who wear glasses, and I did use this feature less than a handful of times, but it's probably one of the features I like the most.

Going back to the thought I had earlier this Summer, it really sounded like a good idea back then. It works with all my Canon lenses, it even loads my film for me (I only have to pull the film a line in the back, and it will latch on automatically once the door is closed) and it knows what film it has been loaded with and sets the ISO automatically. I don't even have to wind the film, it does that by itself, too. Once the film is finished, it winds it back. Again, by itself. Heck, even Ken Rockwell likes this camera. And funny enough, this is the only full frame Canon camera I own!

As I said before, Canon EOS-3 is an amazing camera, but it's just not for everybody. Despite shooting with digital the way I do, I like doing everything myself once it comes to film. The loading of the film, the winding, the focusing, the rewinding of the film, etc. I even miss going to a dark room now. Maybe I'm just the type to work harder than I need to for my own photos, but that's just me, I guess.

Regrettably, my EOS-3 that I shot 4 rolls of film through, is now up for sale. Thankfully, I still have my other film camera , which I use more often.

*: Unless you like multiple exposures.

4 comments:

  1. Danny;
    Your Canon camera is too new. Suggest you check out one from the 1980's. The Canon A-1. Lenses are inexpensive, manual focus and just as sharp as the EOS lenses. It is the first Canon with a viewfinder digital display. This one just works and I have no idea why.
    Dave
    dgmaley at commspeed dot net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    Thank you for the suggestion. The A-1 does sound like a sweet SLR to own. I thought I was done with manual-focus SLRs since I phase with the Minolta MD mount SLRs, but lately, I have been looking for some SLRs here and there and it is fueling my impulse (which is a dangerous thing).
    Although, despite being a Canon (digital) user, I may very well go for Nikon film SLRs. I have been taking a look at either the Nikon F2 or F3. Who knows? I may grab which ever better deal I come across first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked KEH.COM. They have both the F2 and F3 available with all kinds of variants. The F2 looks to cost more than the F3. Nikon has the monster motor drives just like Canon.
      Dave...

      Delete
    2. Dave, funny enough, I'm actually expecting a Nikon F3HP from KEH sometime this week. Once I get a chance to shoot with it, I will most likely write a post about it on my blog (which has been collecting dust since my last post -.-;;).

      Delete

As long as it isn't spam, sure, go ahead and leave a comment.
=]